Thursday, January 22, 2009

Shall I die of thirst?

I have never felt the Lord's presence in my life or such reliance on Him as I enjoyed last week. I was calling out to the Lord, minute by minute, for His answer to prayer, for His glory to be accomplished, for Him to bring a buyer to our house. I was waiting with eager anticipation for God to show forth His glory though answered prayer. What a time of sweet fellowship with Him! What a blessing? I was longing after the Lord and believing He would show himself strong. I have always loved Psalm 42. David is longing for God, desiring that God would shine forth to him and through his life.
As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me;...Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. Psalm 42:1-4a, 5
Where is my God? Will He hasten to our aid to show himself strong before those whom we have declared His praises? Have I mislead myself into believing that God was leading us to pray in a certain way?
I admit my faith has faltered this week. My face has been turned towards our situation, towards the reactions of people with whom we have shared our hopes and not turned towards the help of his countenance.
I have been crying out to the Lord to "help thou my unbelief", but my heart has been disquieted within me. This morning I had great encouragement from two different people. Through the course of their daily devotions he brought these texts to them and they felt encouraged to share them with me.
First was an email from my mother...
Only the Holy Spirit knows what God is doing by waiting to answer your prayer. Martha and Mary ask for Christ to come but he waited until after Lazarus died, which was beyond their understanding before he did come so as to bring even GREATER glory to His eventual action! Whatever he has for you is greater than that which you are asking him for...that was in a nut shell the study for today in experiencing God. I was excited and nearly phoned you then remembered you might not appreciate being awakened at 3 a.m....Stay strong in Him! Your faith will be rewarded!
Much love,

Mom
The second came as a phone call from my sister. She was reading Spurgeon's Morning and Evening last night and felt led to shared these words with me...
"He was sore athirst, and called on the Lord, and said, Thou hast given this great deliverance into the hand of Thy servant: and now shall I die of thirst? Judges 15:18
Samson boasted right loudly when he said,"I have slain a thousand men." His boastful throat soon grew hoarse with thirst, and he betook himself to prayer. God has many ways of humbling His people. Dear child of God, if after great mercy you are laid very low, your case is not an unusual one. When David had mounted the throne of Israel, he said," I am this day weak, though anointed king." You must expect to feel weakest when you are enjoying your greatest triumph. ...So, tried brother, cheer your heart with Samson's words, and rest assured that God will deliver you ere long. (Morning and Evening, pg 43)
We so desire for God to show Himself strong in our lives. We want it to be God's glory that is declared before His people. We are thankful for His answering our prayers by providing us with plane tickets home. We also continue to ask for strength and faith, hope, peace and love. I ask for myself; patience and perseverance.
Samson thirsted for water, David was athirst for the Lord. God quenched both their of their thirsts. Today, I thirst for God. I also ask Him to continue to reveal Himself and His direction for our lives. As I see God working in our hearts I realize how weak I truly am. Therefor I cry out unto the Lord again, "Heavenly Father, continue your work. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment